Friday, September 12, 2008

Shark Attack!!!

On Monday afternoon, Todd Murashige was attacked by a shark while surfing at Crouching Lion. Now normally, I would just tell myself that it was on an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and it had no relevance to me at all because I lived in California. But now that I am living in Hawaii, I am a little freaked out by this event. In fact, I am petrified.
I think that my worst fear is getting attacked by sharks, and the fact that the Department of Land and Natural Resources is telling people to be careful about going into the water...IN HAWAII, kind of makes me nervous.
We live on an island. With that comes the draw of beaches, surfing, scuba diving, snorkeling, etc. What are we supposed to do? Not go in the water? Stop swimming? I sure hope not. But at the same time, I am not inclined to go in the water at all. I don't want to go in the water right now because I am fearful. What is that going to do for the tourism business? Or for local people in general?
Officials say sharks are traveling closer to shore because it is mating season. I hope this mating season ends early, for everyones sake.

No comments: