Friday, November 7, 2008

We've Got A New President

Let's be real. Who would have ever thought ten years ago that this nation would elect a president that was anything other than a white man? Who would have thought that the nation would set aside the ever so prevelent racism and prejudice that has plagued this country since the start, to not only elect a leader that is black, but to elect a black man as the most powerful man in the world? I wouldn't have, that's for sure.
I am not going to say whether or not I voted for Obama because it really doesnt matter. What is more important to me is the fact that maybe, just maybe after this man gets into office, we might see the decline of racism and other things that society thinks a black man shouldn't be able to do.
January 20, 2009 will mark one of the greatest days in the history of this country, and whether you are a Republican or a Democrat, I think that we should really applaud ourselves as people. Some people may not agree with his experience or his policies, but hopefully, his charisma and his ambition will lead this country to new heights. I can honestly say I didn't care who won either way. I am a moderate, falling completely in the middle of every politcal survey I have ever taken. I just want this country to get out of this depression. I want this country to thrive, and I want people to know that we are a country that is above oppression. We have a black president. Not only that, we have an intelligent, funny, charismatic black president. Do work Obama.

No comments: